Peaknit

Friday, December 28, 2012

Holiday handmade wrap up...

Whew, it's been ages. So long that I came to blogger and it took me a few minutes to figure out how to start a new post. Yikes.

I have been feeling nostalgic as the season comes to a close. I took down the holiday decorations and as I was putting the ornaments away, I thought about which ones would hang on my children's trees one day - as I was wrapping carefully the ones from my own's mother's childhood tree, and even one from my mother-in-laws tree. I have the lucky gift of collecting history - somehow, people tell me stories. Mostly elderly people will tell me a story. I think because I am interested - in history in general, but real and personal history is always so interesting. So anyways, I kind of know the stories behind the ornaments I have been entrusted to curate. Tucking them all away made me think about that, the stories that need to stay with the ornaments. Stories that I hope my children are interested to hear one day.

Okay where was I going with all of that? I think I have been feeling nostalgic in general - figuring out what needs to be done, what is important. And truly, those handmade gifts that I give and sometimes even get, are the most special. So I wanted to share what I have been up to leading up to Christmas.

IMG_0630
Lacey Anklets made from The Plucky Knitter Feet in Edwardian

These were given to my mom. I always labor over what to make for her (it's kind of expected) and each year, end up with a pair of socks. I am not sure if it is by coincidence or on purpose (though knowing the cunning of my mom, it's the latter) she will leave socks I have handknit for her handily laying over the laundry basket, or this year on the mantel of the fireplace(!) so I can see them as a reminder of how much she enjoys and wears them. She is a careful caretaker - so each year, a new pair to the collection.

The island of misfit cowls...I think I'll wrap them together and let my sister pick.
a stack of cowls - Avery in Yarntini, Gaptastic in Malabrigo, and Gaptastic in Lion Brand (?)

I had a stack of homeless cowls. There were three and now there is just two. I wrapped them all up for my sister with the caveat that she had to choose one. It's hard to pick for someone else, so I gave the job to her. She picked the gray Gaptastic, which I totally expected - it really is a good fit for her, and her warmest winter jacket. Now I have two homeless cowls - I am sure someone has a birthday coming, or I'll need one to go with something. I made the blue one with myself in mind but then, my knitting penpal, Christine made me a much nicer, bigger one in a more perfect blue.

IMG_0625
A reading pillow made of Mendocino Fabrics by Heather Ross...

We drew names at my parents house, for a $15 thoughtful gift, I chose my own child. Well, I blew the budget if I count the project but I figure it was from my stash, so I don't have to count it. It is based on a tutorial here. It as fun to make and right under my daughter's nose. She said that it matched a quilt I had made her - which was so funny since I was "making it for a baby at work". Of course, my oldest daughter didn't miss a beat to point out that she has never received a quilt - so that may well be the next project of 2013. I have 5 blocks done so far to share at another time.

Lastly, I made moonshine - why yes, I did. It is so good and potent - you need to be careful, I am not a big drinker but could see a whole mason jar going down the hatch if I am not careful.

Tastes just like Apple pie...you need to be careful.
Based on this recipe - I added a cup of Salted Karmel Stoli Vodka for good measure (since I did not have vanilla vodka) and you can really taste the little depth it adds. I gave small jars away, and once people my dear friends stopped complaining about how stingy I was and had a kick, they understood why it's best to start small.

Apple Pie Moonshine is a good time to remind everyone that the next season of Justified premieres on January 8.




4 Comments:

Blogger Vicki Knitorious said...

I can't stop looking at the socks you made for your mother. No wonder she decorates the mantle with the socks you've made. They are just so pretty! That little pillow is adorable, too.

1:07 PM  
Blogger Barb said...

Such beautiful and thoughtful gifts. I can't wait to see the quilt you make for your daughter. I still use the pincushion you made for me in a flickr swap everyday! All the best for 2013!

9:10 AM  
Blogger mle said...

Excellent gifts! Happy New Year!

11:27 AM  
Blogger Jodi said...

Such gorgeous projects! Wow, your mom's socks are simply stunning.

That moonshine sounds delicious (and potentially quite dangerous).

Wishing you peace, joy, love, and lots of yarn in 2013!

5:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home